For many homeowners, Thanksgiving weekend is the start of stringing ornamental lights on their homes for the upcoming Holiday season. We offer the following precautions:
- If it’s rainy, windy, icy, or your driveway or roof is covered with snow or ice, Don't attempt it! It’s just not worth it.
- Test that all your lights are working before installing.
- Use extension cords that are rated for the environment where you’re hanging them and don't overload your electrical sockets with too many strings of light.
- Don’t put extension cords where they can be walked on or possibly tripped over.
If you must use a ladder:
- Secure the ladder or have your helper hold it to prevent unexpected movement. Make sure the surface is level and both feet of the ladder are securely touching the ground.
- Get the right size ladder - don't ever stand on the top two rungs.
- Good rule of thumb: never allow your “belt buckle” area to lean out past the side rail of the ladder. This will prevent the ladder from tipping or the feet kicking out.